Saturday, March 31, 2012

Rest of March….3 races in a week!

So life once again got super real.  And by real I mean “busy”.  I usually have too much fun living it to keep up with writing about it.

The good news is I have almost been perfect with my NRTE plan.  The only oppies was this week when I started throwing up Monday night and laid on the floor for most of Tuesday and Wednesday!  I did make it on Thursday but rested some more on Friday.  So pretty sure 3 days out of all of it isn't too bad! 

The bad news is my tummy still isn't at 100%.  And I had to break off from the best body boot camp plan but a new week starts soon and I have a chance to get back in the game! 

So on to race recaps! 

1st up was the NWO 5k in Findlay.  Bard and her friend Audra were running it so I tagged along to test out my legs.  It was a flat and FAST course.  I was shocked when the group took off and didn’t look back!  I just kept asking when they were going to slow down.  So if you cant beat them join them!  And join them I did! 

NWO5K

Speed demon!  For me that was quite a clip!  I was happy and shocked.  Yes the course was short and they didn’t have chip timing.  So do I count is as a 5k or not?!  If so it’s a 2+min PR! Oh and almost forgot…a 9yo boy made me look stupid at the finish line by racing me to the point of me wanting to vomit.  That’s the last time I encourage some one who starts walking 100yards from the finish! 

The very next day I did the Greenswell Sharon Woods 5K. with Jessica  This was the first “trail” race I have ever done.  It was fun but so hard! 

GSW5K 

Much slower but for sure not flat!  Part of the course was in the woods on a chipped gravel trail and the other part was through grass.  And it rained the few days before  I was covered in mud up to my knees!  But it was still a fun race.

Today I did leg one of the Scioto Miles training races.  It was so much fun.  Remember how I said I was sick at the beginning of this week.  Yeah my issues are not 100% smoothed out so when I woke this morning food was the last thing I wanted.  I managed about 2 bites of my normal prerace fuel, a clif bar, and decided to take some Jello to chug on the way.  I made it to Cosi and carried my Jello with me which got me some strange looks and questions.  In case you wonder, not proper fuel for a 10k. 

After I verified I was indeed signed up for the 10k it was time to take off.  The first 1/2 felt okay but I knew my body was not going to enjoy the second loop.  I so wanted to head on in at the 5k mark but I wouldn’t let it happen.  I did take a Gu with me but with nothing in my stomach I knew it wouldn’t sit any better than running on no fuel was doing for me.  I managed to keep moving, only stopping to walk up 2 small hills for <0.2miles worth of walking.  I am glad I did because it was enough to get me through those last couple of miles.  Here’s the crazy part: PR.  FTW. 

SM10k1

Granted the only other 10k I have done was the Flying Pig last year and is much hillier and I did throw up there In love.  I really look forward to running the 2nd leg in April and hope I am in shape to really test out my legs!  I would love to get my 10k pace down below 10min miles and with the way I have been doing I should be able to!

No comments: