Sunday, October 16, 2011

2011 Columbus Half Marathon

Today was my 2nd half marathon.  Last year I ran this same race and I HATED it after mile 7 or 8.  I just couldn't push myself.  So this year, I trained differently and it was a  great decision.  Last year I did my training runs with friends but on race day I ended up being alone.  I couldn't keep up and then I had no one there with me the whole time to push me when I needed it.  So this year I did my long runs alone.  For me it works.  I did have the benefit of having my friend Melissa run with me.  It was touch and go as to if she was going to be able to due to a bum leg but she was a trooper. 

The first 10k was a breeze.  I was well ahead of my time from last year and right on track for when I wanted to finish.  I knew around mile 9 I would get to see CG and it would be the perfect time to shed my long sleeves.  I had been cold in the morning and while it never got super hot out, I was roasting and it was affecting my running.  So got changed and back at it.  At this point Mel decided she needed to take a potty break.  Looking back I wish I would have kept trucking because I only had so much fuel in my tank and I didn't need to uses the pots. 
Around mile 10.75 she stopped for more water and I kept pushing ahead. I turned up High and knew to except the only real hill of the course.  At this point is when I got a horrible sharp pain in my lower ab region.  Not a side stitch or cramp.  I honestly thought one of my organ was getting ready to explode!  I saw the bridge over 70/71 up ahead and gave myself permission to walk it then pick it back up.  That did the trick for awhile but my pace was taking a serious hit.  I knew I was so close to being done but I was in alot of pain.  While I had been walking Mel caught up with me and pulled me along til we got about .30 miles from the turn towards the finish.  At that point I got a rush of excitement and started pushing it.  I knew I had a chance to make my goal if I just kept pushing.  I turned onto Nationwide Blvd and was dodging people when the feeling hit me. 
Don't look too close. RIP water bottle!

Yep that feeling.  Just like last year I got a horrible wave a nausea right where the course is fenced off and lined by nice people who really don't want vomit on them.  So while still running I took the cap off my beloved running water bottle and proceeded to fill it up with a warm mixture of gu and water.  After I was feeling better I booked it to the finish for a time of 2:28:21.  My goal was 2:28:49 so I was so happy. 
I am glad Melissa was there with me to run the whole thing even though it probably didn't do her leg any good!  Considering I have spent the past 2 days with very upset stomach and slept about 4 or 5hrs last night up and down to the bathroom I was happy to beat 2:30. 
Since I had pretty much removed everything from my system I ate on Saturday because 5am on Sunday I probably needed to have more food before running.  But it took all of me to swallow down my normal Clif bar.  Its just one of those things that happens.  While I am happy with my time I cant help but wonder how it would have gone if I had been feeling better. 
Now my original plan was if I finished this race feeling good I would be signing up for the Flying Pig half but that is no longer the plan (sorry Mel!).  SWS, JK and Bard are all in to do the 4person relay at the Flying Pig.  After today I am super excited about this race.  I do much better at shorter races and I think doing it as a team is going to be so much fun!  SWS has agreed to do the worst hills part and I will take the longest long of 7.64miles. 
I love this race because it was my first half but I have to question if I am built to do so long distance.  My feets are a mess and started to hurt around mile 7.  Now walking is a chore if i have been sitting for any amount of time.  Maybe I stick to the middle distance, 10ks, quarter marathons. 
PS my photographer sucked!  He has had a long week and taking pics just didn't happen.  Of course I didn't tell him he had to but it just seems like the thing you do! 

3 Things I have learned today
3
Leave early.  Super early!  With my tummy issues I kind of held us up and the exit was backed up super bad.  My sweet mom had texted me saying the exit by the Med center was clear so we hoped up there and took Neil south and only had a little wait in line.  We actually ditched the boys and took off walking before they got parked.  Made it to the start area to get in line to pee and they stared the race while we piddled.  But considering with the crowd size of 17,000 it was about 9mins off the clock before we crossed the start.
2
If you are having an upset tummy the day before, eat extra and eat bland.  I didn't do these things and I really needed the fuel.  This is one of those things you cant always plan for but just keep in mind.
1
Don't drink so much!  I got smart at the water stations and would fill up my bottle from cups there.  I then kept drinking and drinking and drinking.  I probably had almost 3 bottles full of water by the time I got to the finish.  And I upchucked about 2/3 of that bottle to fill it back! up!

No comments: